The Eagles found ourselves in uncharted waters early this season. Right now we sit at 2-1 at the end of week 4. Sitting on top of the NFC East and in control of our own destiny. With out a game this week to test our mettle, lets look back at 5 takeways from the first 3 weeks.
1. Konrad Foucault has shown this season why he was the #1 draft pick two drafts ago. Konrad has reversed the trend of inaccurate passes, low yards, and at this point led the XCFL in interceptions thrown last season. This year he is currently completing 75% of his passes while throwing almost half of his total TDs from all of last season in Just 3 weeks. Additionally he’s only thrown 2 picks through 4 weeks as opposed to throwing 22 last season. Keep an eye on Foucault as the season progresses through the gauntlet we play of a schedule.
2. Bradley Holmes, Tarzan Howard. They seem to get open and find the end zone often! Holmes has 13 receptions for 381yds and 4tds through 3 games. While newcomer Howard has already matched his average TDS a season with the Dolphins. He has 229yds and 3TDs as well. Both receivers are on pace to break Philadelphia Eagle records this season.
3. The defensive end pass rush. Putting pressure on opposing QBs is a staple of the Eagles defensive philosophy and they haven’t disappointed with 18 sacks in 3 games. We average 6 sacks a game coming from all levels of the defense.
4. Stud Defensive ends are tough to come by and the Eagles have 2. Unfortunately Pass rush specialist Quinn Martin went down with a torn shoulder during week 1. He’s expected to miss 4-6 weeks in total. He had 1 sack early in week 1 before going down. This is a HUGE loss in production as the eagles have had to replace a double digit sack artist from last season.
5. The defensive secondary only has 2interceptions this season. This is not the upgrade in production we had hoped for. Defensive we also. 16th in passing yards and 25th in points allowed. This is not the makeup of a playoff contender. The defense will need to find ways to force more take always while giving up fewer points if the eagles plan to make a run through the second half of the season.